Sabbatical (Long-Term Leave, Paid)
Sabbaticals are competitive grants that allow contracted faculty members at Lane time to explore a focused topic or project. Faculty can apply for one or more terms of leave. If circumstances warrant it and funds are available, faculty may be awarded two or three terms of leave; however, awards of more than one term are rare. While most awardees elect to take a one-term leave, awardees are now able to distribute their award over more than one term.
Deadline for submission: Friday, January 31, 2020, by 5 p.m.
Application Forms and Information
- Application form
- Model sabbatical applications
- Scoring Rubric
- Please submit the application as a PDF attachment by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and bring a hard copy of your application to Leah Smith in the Math Department office (Bldg 16, rm 166.)
Applicants are expected to connect their projects to Lane's Core Values and/or Strategic Directions.
Paid Sabbatical Guidelines
- Employees must be contracted faculty members.
- Employees with 2 years of service are eligible to apply for 1 term of leave; 4 years of service may apply for 2 terms of leave, and employees with 6 years of service may apply for 3 terms of leave.
- Leave award is calculated on present contracted salary, not on projected or scheduled overloads above contracted salary level. An employee who takes one term of leave receives full salary for the year. An employee who takes 2 terms of leave receives 87% of annual salary for the two terms of leave and the normal salary for the third term. An employee who takes 3 terms of leave receives 75 % of annual salary for the year.
Example: an employee who normally grosses $60,000 per year and who takes 2 terms of leave will receive a gross of approximately $54,800 (.87 * 20k, + .87 * 20k, + 1.00 * 20k).
- A paid sabbatical is designed for projects and activities which the employee cannot accomplish during contracted time.
- A paid sabbatical generally means an off-campus experience.
- The person granted a paid sabbatical will provide an oral and written presentation of the leave activities. The written report is to be submitted in electronic form (Word document) to the FPD Coordinator within two months of the return to campus and will be published on the FPD website. The oral report will be scheduled as appropriate (usually during Fall Inservice.) Additional guidelines for the reports are listed on the application.
- The recipient of a leave must return to LCC for a minimum of one term per term of leave taken.
- If the goals, objectives, and activities of the leave are altered, prior approval of amended plans must be obtained from the committee.
- If the recipient does not return to LCC, or does not complete leave as approved, in accordance with #7 above, he/she must repay to the college the portion approved, plus actual OPE.
- In order to be eligible for a second or third award, a faculty member must have a written report on record for all previous paid sabbatical leaves.
- A paid sabbatical is not intended to be used for the writing or production of materials for classroom use (curriculum development). We realize that research/projects may result in the need for curriculum development. Curriculum development funds are usually accessed through the department planning process.
- A paid sabbatical cannot be for personal business interests outside of college employment.
- A paid sabbatical should not be used for immediate, direct, or indirect financial gain.
- No staff person on leave shall receive a combined income (development leave award plus possible outside income) amounting to more than 100% of their contracted salary. (Tuition, fee grants, and scholarships shall not be considered additional salary.)
- No staff person on leave will teach at LCC during the paid sabbatical.
- Procedure for Awarding Leaves
- All applications must be complete.
- The actual criteria are listed on the application form.
- Please refer to Collective Bargaining Agreement 188.8.131.52 if more than one application for the same term is submitted from a department.
- Procedures for Obtaining and Filing Application Form
- Forms requesting paid sabbatical funding are to be obtained from the website (here) or from the Faculty Professional Leave Coordinator who is also the Chair of the Committee (Aryn Bartley). All completed applications should be returned to email@example.com
- To be considered, an application must be complete. A completed application must:
- Be typed or neatly printed and scanned as an electronic file,
- Have all appropriate signatures,
- Answer all application questions in detail, and
- Include supporting documentation, including acceptance letters, school schedules, etc., where appropriate.
- Submit the application as indicated above to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The application deadline is January 31, 2020, by 5 p.m. No late applications will be accepted.
- Model applications are available online. Mentors from the Sabbatical Committee are also available to help you write your application. Please contact Aryn Bartley for more information.
- Appeal Process
- There is an appeals process available for you if you want to pursue it. Please contact the Executive Board of LCCEA.