Sudden power outages in academic departments and research areas are usually brief and affect only small areas, but prolonged or widespread outages can disrupt the mission of Lane. Laboratories and computer operations are especially vulnerable.
A prompt resolution of this kind of emergency requires collaboration between University emergency response and utilities personnel and the affected parties. All Lane departments should include procedures for outages in their Emergency Operations Plans.
- Prepare, or review existing, internal communications plan to notify affected personnel about workday and after-hours emergencies.
- Identify and prioritize vital power-dependent functions, operations, and equipment.
- Plan ahead for short-term and longer-term impacts and needs.
- Keep offsite duplicates of critical data.
- Determine whether emergency power outlets (red) are in the area. Use them for critical functions only.
- Determine if there is emergency lighting in the area. Keep flashlights in all work areas.
- Do not overload power strips. Extension cords are for emergency use only.
- Develop strategies for resuming operations when power returns. Provide appropriate emergency information and training for Department personnel. Review plans periodically and reinforce procedures with staff and students
- Assess the extent of the outage in the area.
- To report an outage, call Public Safety (541) 463-5558.
- To obtain information about a prolonged outage, call Public Safety (541) 463-5558.
- Help co-workers in darkened work areas move to safe locations.
- If practical, secure current experimental work, then move it to a safe location. For example, if you move chemicals on carts between floors, get assistance. Hazardous spills are a significant risk during transport.
- Keep lab refrigerators or freezers closed throughout the outage.
- Unplug personal computers.
- Unplug non-essential electrical equipment and appliances.
- Open windows for additional light and ventilation.
- You may be asked to evacuate your building. If so, quickly secure any hazardous materials work and leave the building.
In the Event of a Failure Contact the Lane Help Desk:
- •Hours: M-F, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Closed on Fridays during Summer term
- •Call: (541) 463-4444
- •Email: email@example.com
- •Visit: Building 2, 1st Floor
- •Online: help.lanecc.edu - Live online help available during operating hours
The Public Safety Office at Lane is located in building #13, room 107. The office is staffed from
8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday through Friday excluding campus closures.