Testing Accommodations - Faculty
Information for Faculty
This page outlines information about student testing accommodations, and important information for faculty regarding test facilitation.
On this Page:
- General Guidelines
- Taking Tests in the CARTesting Center
- Testing Agreements
- Testing Security
- Testing Accommodations in Moodle
- Pop Quizzes
- Contact Testing
- Outside Resources
- Related Pages
- Faculty will be alerted of any testing accommodations student(s) in their course have through each student’s Letter of Accommodation (LOA) that is received electronically (link to LOA page).
- Students must contact their instructor(s) to initiate a meeting at the beginning of the term to arrange their testing accommodations. If this is not done, CAR cannot guarantee testing accommodations will be provided.
- This conversation should include specifics regarding testing such as: what the student’s accommodations are, time, location, and format of the test(s).
- These specifics and accommodations used may vary between types of tests (i.e. quizzes/quests, midterms, finals).
- Students are responsible for confirming details for each test/quiz. Of particular importance is the final exam, as times and locations are often different for final exams.
- Extended time or reduced distraction room accommodations can be provided in the CARTesting Center or elsewhere, as determined by the instructor(s):
- CARTesting Facilities
- Math/Science/Business Resource Centers
- Instructional Testing Services
- In class
- Testing accommodations apply to all quizzes (including pop quizzes), tests, midterms, exams, and finals.
- If faculty have any questions regarding testing, they should feel free to contact CAR.
- Please visit the Student Testing Accommodations page for more information about testing accommodations.
There are a few things to keep in mind when a student has testing accommodations:
Video: CAR Testing Center Video Tour
- Students with testing accommodations should be held to the same makeup/late policy as stated in the syllabus. Contact CAR for assistance in determining if a disability-related exception is appropriate.
- If the faculty determines that the CARTesting Center will be used, students are required to schedule their exams in our online system at least three (3) full business days in advance of the exam day.
- If a student will be using the CARTesting Center:
- Faculty members need to complete the Alternative Testing Agreement included with the LOA via email. See video walkthrough below.
- Tests must be received by noon the day before the scheduled test.
- Tests will be returned the same day taken.
- During a test, if you provide the class with additional instructions or make modifications, contact CAR immediately so we can alert the student.
- Note: If a student will be testing outside of CAR Testing, the only item in the Alternative Testing Agreement that needs to be selected is, “I will proctor my own exams.”
CAR’s Testing Process Video Walkthrough
Faculty will need to complete the Alternative Testing Agreement included with the LOA via email. This agreement will outline details regarding the testing process that are important to administration.
Testing Agreements Video Walkthrough
Maintaining faculty test security is very important to CAR. Some of the security precautions that we take are:
- All tests are held in a secure, locked location
- During testing, all students are monitored at all times by trained CAR staff as well as overhead and screen monitoring cameras
- Students are separated from their belongings, including smart watches
- If a student is witnessed using unauthorized material or breaking any other established procedures, an incident form will be completed and sent to the faculty member to determine the consequences
Students with extended test time eligibility are still able to receive their extended time for Moodle tests.
- Extended time for individual students can be added directly in Moodle by setting a user override.
- For assistance, see the Knowledgebase article on the Academic Technology Center (ATC) Faculty Support webpage. Contact ATC at x3377 for assistance.
- If a student would like to test in the CARTesting Center for Moodle tests they are welcome to do so by submitting a request in our online system.
CAR is able to assist faculty in administering pop quizzes to students who have testing accommodations:
- Instructors should contact CAR two business days prior to the quiz
- Arrangements will be made without disclosure to the student
If you have any other questions regarding this, please contact CAR.
Hours of testing operation:
- 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday
- For exceptions to the testing hours, contact CARTesting
Phone: (541) 463-5280
Where do I go to fill out or edit an Alternative Testing Agreement?
When a student requests a test to be taken in CAR’s Testing Center, an email is sent to your @lanecc.edu email address with a link to where you can fill out the Alternative Testing Agreement. If you need to make changes to your testing agreement or you need help filling it out, call CAR at x5280.
A student with testing accommodations never contacted me about arranging their tests. How should I proceed?
CAR requires students to meet with their faculty regarding testing arrangements. You as the faculty may facilitate this conversation if you feel comfortable or wait for the student to come to you.
What is the process for students with testing accommodations that miss or need to make up a test?
As the faculty, you determine the guidelines surrounding missed and makeup exams. It is important that students with accommodations also adhere to these guidelines.