Student Handbook Chapter 8 - Alternate Format
The Center for Accessible Resources (CAR) provides textbooks, class materials, and tests in various alternate formats including digital text, enlargements, Braille, and audio that can be played on a computer. This process typically takes up to 20 business days to complete. Alternate format requests need to be submitted prior to the start of the term. We encourage students to submit these as soon as possible.
How to use this accommodation
All students using an alternate format accommodation are responsible for the following:
- Students must obtain copies of textbooks or other materials for which an alternate format is needed and must abide by copyright laws and agreements.
- If requested for scanning, textbooks and other materials need to be in good condition. Book bindings will be removed, then re-bound and returned.
- CAR is not responsible for any damage to the original material during the reformatting process.
- Students agree not to copy, distribute, or sell any reformatted material provided by CAR.
- Students are responsible for deleting all electronic files when finished with the course.
- Original materials will be recycled if not claimed by the last day of the term.
- If requesting Braille, tactile graphics, or ongoing production (example weekly handouts), a syllabus must be provided to CAR by the student.
Receiving alternate format materials:
- All materials will be delivered electronically unless otherwise notified.
- Materials will be sent to the student’s email of record in departmental systems.
- Students are responsible for keeping all contact information updated in MyLane.
- Once sent to the student, materials will be available to download for thirty (30) days.
- Students are responsible for checking email and downloading materials in a prompt manner.
How to request this service
Please see CAR's Requesting Accommodations Page for step-by-step instructions on requesting accommodations like use of alternate formats.
Also take a look at this detailed Pdf: Guide to Requesting Alternate Format Accommodations in AIM.
View the video on Alternate Format Requests.