Student Handbook Chapter 5 - Requesting Accommodations
How to request accommodations
- New to CAR? Go to the Application Process Page.
- Already a CAR student? Each term, students will need to request accommodations through CAR's AIM Portal for each class the student wishes to utilize accommodations in. Students must specify which accommodations they want to use for each class. A customized Letter of Accommodation (LOA) will be emailed to each of the student's instructors.
- Students will need to meet with each instructor privately to discuss details of the accommodations the student will use for that particular class before the student plans to use them.
- If after initially requesting accommodations a student is made eligible for an additional eligibility(ies), the student must then request the new accommodation(s) through CAR's AIM Portal.
Accommodations will not be available until requested according to the above process. To ensure sufficient time to provide accommodations, it is suggested that students submit their accommodation requests as soon as possible or within the timelines listed below.
- Service providers (in-class aides/readers/scribes), interpreters, notetakers, TypeWell services: As soon as possible or 30 business days before start of the term.
- Furniture: 10 business days before start of the term.
- Test accommodations: 5 business days before each test/quiz/exam/midterm/final.
- Alternate format: Prior to start of the term. Alternate Format textbooks may take up to 20 business days to be sent to you.
- Modified Attendance and Assignment Due Dates: 2 weeks prior to start of the term.
- Disability verification review may take up to 10 business days.
If a request is submitted after the due date, reasonable efforts will be made by CAR to accommodate the request. However, CAR cannot guarantee such a request can be met if there is insufficient time to gather the appropriate documentation, information, or to implement an unusual request. Untimely requests may result in delay, substitutions, or denial of accommodation.
It is a student’s right not to disclose if he or she has a disability or uses accommodations. Accommodations will not be given retroactively.
All students are encouraged to take steps to ensure accommodations are in place for future assignments or activities by completing the above process to become eligible for academic accommodations.