Student Handbook Chapter 15 - Service Providers

Student Handbook Chapter 15 - Service Providers

Accommodations provided

Service providers (such as in-class readers/scribes/aides, computer notetakers, or interpreters) will be scheduled for qualifying students upon request. Students should request services 30 business days before the start of each term (or as soon as possible) to allow the Center for Accessible Resources (CAR) staff time to locate an appropriate service provider.

In-class needs

Request accommodations as soon as possible—If need for a service provider is known prior to registration for an upcoming term, please contact CAR right away. Service providers will be scheduled to start as soon as possible, but late requests may delay services for one to two weeks.

Out-of-class needs

For meetings or activities: to request a service provider for a meeting or activity, submit a request at least one week before the activity. Contact the CAR office to make a request by voicemail, email, or fax. Find contact information on our Contact Us page. Be sure to include the type of meeting or activity, the date, time, and location where the service provider is needed.

How to request a service provider

Please see CAR's Requesting Accommodations Page for step-by-step instructions on requesting accommodations like service providers. 

If a service provider is needed outside of the classroom for an LCC event (i.e. Graduation) please contact a CAR advisor. CAR accommodation specialist information can be found on our Contact Page.


Late to class

Service providers will wait for 15 minutes. After that time, the service provider will leave. If the student doesn't call in, this will be counted as a “no-show.” There will be no services provided during the time missed.

Last minute absences

Students should contact the CAR office as early as possible (preferably before 7:00 a.m.) to cancel their service provider for the day. Messages can be left at any time by phone, TTY, email, or fax (see contact information below).


If a student knows they will miss a class (ex: doctor appointment, etc.) inform the CAR office at least 48 hours in advance of the absence so CAR may cancel or reschedule the service provider for the day.
When canceling services, the following information must be provided:

  • The student's name.
  • Names of the classes that will be missed (WR121, MTH60, etc.).
  • Time, day of the week, and date of the classes that will be missed (ex: 8:00-8:50 a.m. Monday, September 27).
  • Date student will return to classes.
  • Causes for missing class (hearing from the student may affect how this absence is handled).
  • CAR must be made aware of the cancellation.

If the instructor cancels class or indicates a service provider will not be needed, it is the student's responsibility to contact CAR. 

Service suspensions

After excessive (two or more) service provider cancellations students will have their service provider accommodations suspended. Services may become dependent on a daily phone call confirming the need for in-class accommodations.

A no-show is when a service provider is scheduled to provide in-class services for a student who does not attend class and has not called in. One "grace" no-show is permitted each term. Every future no-show will result in a suspension of service provider accommodations.

Suspension of service provider accommodations will require a meeting with a CAR Accommodation Specialist before services will be re-started. During this meeting, the student and CAR Accommodation Specialist will discuss what caused the student to miss class. The outcome of this meeting will determine if services will be reinstated, suspended, or conditional. If services are conditional the student may be asked to call in each morning to confirm the need for a service provider.


Occasionally, difficulties occur because a service provider is unable to address the student's requests. If a problem arises, the student should share his/her concerns with their Accommodation Specialist. There may be a misunderstanding and a simple solution. If the problem cannot be solved through direct communication with the service provider, the student should contact CAR immediately. CAR is committed to solving any problems that arise

Tips for working with a service provider in class:

  • The service provider may sit near the student during class, if necessary. Please sit in a mutually convenient location.
  • If the student has a question for the instructor about the course (lecture content, reading assignments, homework assignments or other course-related concerns), ask the instructor directly. The service provider will not speak unless this is an authorized accommodation.
  • Contact your CAR Accommodation Specialist if there are any problems working with a service provider. 
  • It is the student's responsibility to inform CAR if there are any schedule or room changes. Failure to do so could result in an absent service provider.

Note: The college does not provide personal care attendants or aides to assist students with disabilities in carrying out personal functions or physically navigating campus.

How to request in-class aides, readers, and scribes:

Please see Center for Accessible Resources (CAR)'s Requesting Accommodations chapter for more information. 

Please see the student agreement for using service providers, such as in-class aides/readers/scribes, on CAR's Student Agreement Page.

Questions or concerns? Students should immediately contact their CAR Accommodation Specialist from CAR's Contact page. If needed, visit CAR's Grievances Page for information on informal and formal complaint processes.

Personal Aides/Support Persons 

Students may occasionally require a Personal Aide/Support Person to accompany them in the learning environment. Please be advised:

  • The Center for Accessible Resources (CAR) does not provide Personal Aides.
  • Personal Aides are hired, paid, and employed by the student.
  • Personal Aides are not classroom or lab assistants.
  • Personal Aides are required to abide by all LCC policies, including but not limited to the Student Code of Conduct.
  • Personal Aides are only permissible in the classroom or lab when the student is present.
  • Personal Aides are not to be enrolled in the class the student is in and will not receive academic credit for the class.

In order to bring a Personal Aide to class, a student must register with CAR prior to the Personal Aide attending class. It is the responsibility of the student to contact the instructor to ensure there is adequate space for the Personal Aide. 

CAR requires that the student and the Personal Aide sign the PDF: Support Person Agreement and the PDF: Student Support Person Agreement each term prior to the Personal Aide attending class so they are aware of the guidelines. 

Questions or concerns? Students should immediately contact their CAR Accommodation Specialist from CAR's Contact page. If needed, visit CAR's Grievances Page for information on informal and formal complaint processes.