Lane Community College (LCC) emphasis safety and encourages students to learn evacuation routes and safety tips.
At the Center for Accessible Resources (CAR), we urge you to think through evacuation routes for each of your classes in case of emergency.
LCC's evacuation plan
- Look for an evacuation plan or diagram which is posted in every building. Note the best route from your classroom to the outside of the building.
- Do not use building elevators in case of fire or earthquake. Use the nearest stairway. Walk, do not run, to the nearest exit.
- Leave the building and move a safe distance away, preferably to the nearest parking lot. Do not obstruct emergency personnel or vehicles.
- Identified staff will be checking all common areas and rooms and can assist you in your evacuation.
- You may return to a building when Public Safety or other officials say it is safe to do so, or when the alarm stops sounding.
- If there is a hostage situation—go to as secure a location as possible, preferably with no windows, and secure the doors. If outdoors, find cover. If you need to run—zig zag, and try to keep objects between you and the hostile person.
- In case of a campus lockdown, look for rooms or spaces where you will be out of sight, and remain in lockdown until instructed to leave by law enforcement personnel.
For students with mobility difficulties
If you are unable to use the elevator or stairs, you may go to:
- Stairway Landings—await rescue on inside or outside landings.
- Outside decks/patios (Caution: some doors can lock behind you).
- "Area of Rescue"—in the Science Building, Building 16 Room 229.
- Evacu-Tracs are located in the Center Building a cabinet on the 4th floor in the South
Stairwell and in the basement. There are also Evacu-Tracs located in Building 30 and at the downtown campus.
- Consider carrying a whistle with you in order to alert others in case of emergency.
Please see more information on what to do in an earthquake.
Evacuation Guidelines — From the College Online Policy and Procedure System (COPPS) Emergency Plan.