Getting Started


In this section you will find: 

  • An overview of the service the Center for Accessible Resources (CAR) provides.
  • Step-by-step guide on how to apply for services with CAR.
  • Contact information for CAR.


CAR is a resource for students, faculty, and staff, with the goal of improving access to the learning environment.

Students with disabilities may experience barriers while taking classes. We work with students to set up accommodations for classes and to brainstorm learning strategies, and we provide disability related advising. There are a variety of accommodations that students might use, including extra time on tests, reduced distraction testing, note-taking assistance, use of alternate format textbooks, etc.

We collaborate with each student to tailor the process of receiving accommodations and identify which accommodations will be most useful in response to their individual needs. Accommodations are provided for all areas of the learning environment including (but not limited to) credit and noncredit classes, Cooperative Education placements, and clinicals.
It is a student’s right not to disclose if he or she has a disability or utilize accommodations. Accommodations will not be given retroactively.
All students are encouraged to take steps to ensure accommodations are in place for future assignments or activities by completing the following process to become eligible for academic accommodations.

To begin the process of receiving CAR services: 

1. Submit a CAR Application. 

This process takes about 10 minutes.

Note: No accommodation or affiliation with the CAR is required for the use of a Service Animal. See more information on Service Animal procedures here.

2. Submit medical documentation.

Medical documentation must describe how your disability affects you in the learning environment. Before you submit any medical documentation, make copies for your records. Documents submitted to CAR will not be re-released. Send, fax, email or bring the forms to our office. Medical documentation will be reviewed within 7 business days of when it was received.

Medical Documentation may include any of the following:

  • Copies of Medical Records.
  • Evaluations or Diagnostic Reports.
  • To obtain medical documentation from a specific provider, you may give them a CAR Release Form

Examples of providers you may wish to obtain medical documentation from:

  • Health Care and Mental Health Care Providers
  • Audiologists
  • Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Commission for the Blind
  • Social Security Records
  • Veteran's Administration

If you have questions on what documents you need, please make an appointment to meet with a CAR advisor. You can also attend a drop-in appointment Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.; Wednesdays from 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.

Occasionally, we will need more information from you or your medical provider to determine your eligibility. To ensure that we can process your medical documentation as quickly as possible, please respond promptly.

3. Attend a Student Interview.

Once we have had an opportunity to review your application and medical documentation, our office will contact you to make a Student Interview appointment. Appointments can normally be made within one week and last about one hour.

During the Student Interview we will identify what academic accommodations you are eligible for and provide information on how to use your accommodations. You will also learn about CAR procedures and have an opportunity to have your questions answered.

We request that parents and advocated do not sit in on this initial meeting between you and your CAR advisor.

What next?

Each term, you will need to request accommodations online for each of your classes. You do this through the Online Accommodation Services, or AIM, Portal.
You may also want to review information on Transition Planning for High School Students and Placement Testing.

Information about your disability is considered a highly confidential part of your educational records which is protected by federal law (Federal Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974).


If you have any questions on this information or need to request it in an alternate format, please contact or visit our office:
Center for Accessible Resources
Main Campus in Building 1, Room 218
(541) 463-5150, for TTY: 711