In-Class Aide/Reader/Scribe - Current Students
On this page
This page provides information specific to in-class aides/readers/scribes; for general information and guidelines see the Service Providers page.
Video: Roles of Aides, Readers, and Scribes
Duties of in-class aides may include describing visual material presented in class, assisting with classroom activities or in-class assignments, and setting up materials and doing "hands-on" work in labs.
In-class aides in labs will only help carry out lab procedures students need assistance in completing due to their disabilities. All information about actual lab processes and procedures are the student's responsibility.
- Will perform only those tasks directed by the student.
- Will not function as a teacher or tutor.
- Will not prompt or guide a student in performing a lab task.
- Must adhere to proper lab procedures.
Duties of in-class readers may include reading text out loud, describing visual material presented in class, or describing other materials that cannot be provided via text-to-speech software.
- Will only read what is on the needed document.
- May be asked to re-read parts of a document and state the punctuation.
- May be asked to adjust speed and volume.
Duties of in-class scribes may include writing or typing dictations from the student or assisting with dictation that cannot be provided via speech-to-text software.
- Will record exactly what the student dictates.
- Are not responsible for organizing or paraphrasing a student's thoughts into a final draft.
- Are responsible for general spelling and sentence-ending punctuation. Students are responsible for detailing to the scribe any specific spelling, class-related terminology, or punctuation.
- The student will direct the scribe to make any corrections, otherwise, what has been dictated by the student will be used.
Note: reader and scribe accommodations are provided through text-to-speech and speech-to-text software programs whenever possible.
How to request in-class aides, readers, and scribes
Please see CAR's Requesting Accommodations page.
Please see the student agreement for using service providers, such as in-class aides/readers/scribes, on CAR's Student Agreement page.