CARES Act Reporting
Congress recently passed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act to provide some relief to students and colleges from the economic fallout related to the COVID-19 pandemic. One element of CARES Act funding is the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF). Lane Community College received $3,014,266 with $1,507,133 to be allocated to students, and $1,507,133 to help offset institution impacts. The college also received an additional Title III Cares Funding of $148,835.
The student portion is meant to provide financial relief to students who have experienced the loss of income or added expenses as a result of the pandemic. LCC’s goal is to assist students with the greatest need, in accordance with federal guidelines.
Each eligible student was awarded $380 for Spring Term expenses to help offset the expense of internet access and electricity for the duration of the spring term. These funds were distributed in accordance with the contractual guidelines and the Department of Education:
"… funds shall not be used for any purpose other than the direct payment of grants to students for their expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus…"
The cost of these utility expenses was calculated based on local internet and electricity rates for a period of 3 months.
Eligible students include:
- Students who were enrolled in at least 1 credit at the time of disbursement.
- Students who have filed a FAFSA and are in good standing with their financial aid.
- Students who were not 100% enrolled in online classes during the winter term (effective March 13, 2020).
Reporting under CARES Act Sections 18004(a)(1) Student Portion
Lane Community College acknowledges that it has signed and returned the Certification and Agreement to the Department of Education and has allocated 100 percent of the funds received to date under Section 18004(a)(1) student portion of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- Total CARES Act funds received: $1,507,133
- Total federal CARES Act funds awarded: $1,223,600
- Total federal CARES Act funds awarded Summer Term: $283,533
- Number of students eligible to participate in Title IV: 3,220
- Number of LCC students who received federal CARES Act grants: 3,220