Responsible Executive Authority
This procedure outlines options that College employees have, and steps to take, when they intend to retire.
There is no mandatory retirement age for employees of the college. Employees may be eligible for benefits under one or more of the following retirement programs:
- Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS);
- Federal Social Security;
- Faculty early retirement incentive program;
- Management early retirement incentive program; and
- Individual retirement programs, such as IRAs, TSAs, and deferred compensation agreements.
Eligibility and minimum age requirements vary under each of these programs. Employees with questions about PERS, Social Security or individual retirement programs are urged to contact the appropriate outside agency for assistance. Employees with questions about the faculty or management early retirement incentive programs may contact a Human Resources representative for assistance.
Processing the Request
Department administrators should encourage employees who have announced their intent to retire, to begin their retirement paperwork at least 2-3 months before the effective date of retirement. This will allow the employee sufficient time to gather needed documentation of age (birth certificate, baptismal certificate, etc.), attend a PERS counseling session (if applicable), review benefit options and discuss insurance continuation options with a Human Resources representative. Retirement paperwork should include at a minimum, written notice to the college and application for PERS or other retirement benefits.
Upon receipt of the employee's written notice of retirement, the department administrator is responsible for completing the following steps:
- Providing copies of the employee's written notice to Human Resources and the vice president;
- Submitting final Leave records for the employee;
- Recovering all college equipment and building keys in the employee's possession; and
- Preparing a Request to Post Position Form for the vacant position if the position is to be filled.
Human Resources will prepare a personnel action form for the employee's final paycheck based on the information provided by the department.