Responsible Executive Authority
This procedure describes the steps to take if a student scores below the minimum reading level. All students who intend to take six or more credits, or math or writing classes, shall take placement tests.
All students who intend to take six or more credits, or math or writing classes, shall take placement tests. Testing will be required the first term a student enrolls in six or more credits.
Students scoring below the minimum reading level established by the vice president Academic and Student Affairs shall be restricted from enrolling in most college classes, and may not be admitted as degree-seeking students.
College efforts with these students shall emphasize opportunities to create success in college.
Established Minimum Reading Score: Descriptive Test of Language Skills (DTLS) Reading Comprehension Test = 21 (or equivalent).
Students scoring below the established minimum have the following options for continuing their education at Lane:
- Enroll in Adult Basic Education to improve reading and general education;
- Enroll in five or less credits; or
- Apply for a "monitored studies" program through the Counseling department.
Students scoring above 21 and below 25 on the DTLS will be referred to counselors for guidance in enrollment and planning, and:
- A "hold" will be placed on these students for one term, restricting their enrollment;
- Mandatory placement in courses designed to build these students' reading skills will be implemented during these students' initial term; and
- These students will be reevaluated after one term to determine their readiness for college courses.