The purpose of this policy is to provide guidelines for Remote Access IPSec Virtual Private Network (VPN) connections to the Lane Community College network. This policy applies to all Lane Community College employees, contractors, consultants, temporaries, and other workers including all personnel affiliated with third parties utilizing VPNs to access the Lane Community College network. This policy applies to implementations of VPN that are directed through an IPSec Concentrator.
Due to limited resources for user support, only those employees with a demonstrated need and manager approval will be authorized VPN usage.
Approved Lane Community College employees and authorized third parties (contractors, vendors, etc.) may utilize the benefits of VPNs, which are a "user managed" service. This means that the user is responsible for selecting an Internet Service Provider (ISP), coordinating installation, installing any required software, and paying associated fees. Further details may be found in the Appropriate Use of Technology Policy.
1. It is the responsibility of employees with VPN privileges to ensure that unauthorized users are not allowed access to their VPN connection.
2. VPN use is controlled using password authentication.
3. When actively connected to the college network, VPNs will force all traffic to and from your computer over the VPN tunnel.
4. Dual (split) tunneling is NOT permitted; only one network connection is allowed.
5. VPN gateways are managed by Lane Community College Network Services.
6. All devices connected to Lane Community College internal networks via VPN must use up-to-date anti-virus software. VPN connections on phones, tablets, and computing devices where anti-virus software is not available are approved on a case by case basis.
7. Only Network Services provided or authorized VPN clients may be used.
8. By using VPN technology with personal equipment, users must understand that their machines are a de facto extension of Lane Community College's network, and as such are subject to the same rules and regulations that apply to Lane Community College-owned equipment, i.e., Usage is governed by the Technology Use: Rights and Responsibilities Policy.
IPSec Concentrator: A device in which VPN connections are terminated.