Building Keys, Access Cards and Surveillance Cameras

Health and Safety
Public Safety, Facilities Management and Planning
(541) 463-5558
Primary Contact: 
Jace Smith, Jennifer Hayward
Contact Email: 
Responsible Executive Authority: 
Vice President, College Services

This procedure describes the specific responsibilities of the Department of Public Safety (Public Safety), Facilities Management and Planning (Facilities), department or unit administrators, and Lane employees, for control of keys and key cards.



Control of keys and key cards is necessary to maintain appropriate security and safety measures and to safeguard all college buildings, equipment, and other facilities. All key access cards are the responsibility of Public Safety.  All keys are the responsibility of Facilities.

Maintenance of all access systems including locking devices, electronic access control devices, and cameras, is the responsibility of Facilities. The possession and use of interior building keys and access cards is the responsibility of the department head or administrator for each unit. This does not apply to inside door department keys, such as keys to desks and other furniture, safes, lockers, special storage units, or building service areas. For these types of keys, or keys for equipment and/or vehicles, requests should be made directly to Facilities through the work order request process. Exterior door master keys are restricted and not issued to staff without the authorization of the President or Vice-President or designee.

Supervisor Responsibility 

When a staff person retires or terminates employment with the college, their supervisor shall ensure that Facilities is notified to begin the key recall process prior to the employee's last day of work. The notice shall indicate the day on which the staff person will bring their keys to the Facilities office to turn them in.

If keys are not recovered by the responsible supervisor when the employment relationship ends, the associated department will be required to transfer the fees noted below to the designated FOAP account in Facilities to allow door hardware modifications and re-keying to commence.

Access cards that were issued to employees who retire, are terminated, or end their employment relationship with the college will be rendered inactive on the employee's last working day, or at the time requested by Human Resources.

Individual Key Users Responsibility 

Persons issued College keys are enjoined to safeguard these keys against loss or theft. Should loss or theft occur, the incident must be reported to the Facilities office (extension 5000) immediately (refer to Lost or Stolen Keys section below). Any staff person possessing keys that have not been authorized is subject to disciplinary action.

Fee Assessment 

In lieu of a key deposit, a fee assessment schedule is implemented with the fee appropriate to the access level of the key. This fee shall be assessed when a person or department cannot account for the keys issued to them. The fee schedule is as follows:

1. Lockset replacement (including keys/labor)
$50/ key to a maximum of $500

2. Department/Area Key:Only issued to Department/Area/Unit Deans, Managers, Directors
$50/ set to a maximum of $500

3. Fleet Vehicle Key (Traditional Keys)

Fleet Vehicle Key (Smart Keys)

4. Lost Key Card Replacement Fee

Exterior Building Access 

All employees are expected to utilize their access control cards for entry into buildings after hours. 

Exterior Building Access Only Classrooms 

Classrooms with access through only an exterior door and without access card readers are all keyed alike. 

Grand Master Keys 

Exterior door building master keys will only be issued to the College president, vice president, the Chief Human Resources Officer, the Chief Financial Officer, the Director of Facilities, and the Director of Public Safety, and Public Safety Officers. The College President or a direct designee of the President may authorize issuance of grand master keys to other employees as appropriate.

Building-specific master keys will be installed in all building "knox" boxes to allow Fire Department Emergency Response access per regulatory compliance requirements.

Required Approvals 

Inside door department keys, inside door multiple classroom keys, and inside door individual keys require the approval of the department manager, dean, or director. These individuals may designate a proxy to request keys for employees, but will remain responsible for all such requests. In addition, Facilities or Public Safety staff may deny any key request that compromises the safety and security of the campus.

Obtaining Keys 

When a manager determines the need for his/her staff to have a key, the supervisor shall initiate a work order to Facilities. The work order shall describe the access needed and shall be signed by the appropriate authority required by the access level and position of the recipient of the key. When the key has been fabricated and delivered to the Facilities office, staff will notify the department so the recipient may pick up the key at the Facilities office in building 7. Please allow at least two weeks for Facilities staff to process your request.

Only college employees (including student employees) will be issued keys. (Exception: See Contractors and Consultants section below)

All new keys will be stamped "Do Not Duplicate"

Any person who requests the same key as has been previously issued to him or her (as evidenced in the Key Contract), will not be issued that key unless and until they have paid for the lost key. Exception: The party requesting the key has returned the key previously and the key contract has this information recorded.

Locking Devices 

There shall be no locking devices attached or installed on college doors independent of the college keying system, unless previously authorized in writing by the Facilities Director or the Public Safety Manager. This includes restroom doors, conference rooms, and offices.

Lost or Stolen Keys 

It is every key holder's responsibility to report lost or stolen keys immediately upon the discovery that they are missing.  To report keys lost or stolen, contact contact Facilities at: (541) 463-5000.  If the keys were lost or stolen on campus, contact Public Safety at: (541) 463-5558 and ask an officer to take a report. Failure to comply with this procedure may result in additional follow up with the employee's immediate supervisor or with Human Resources staff.

Lost Cards

Lost cards should be reported immediately to Public Safety.  Call (541) 463-5558 and notify an officer that the card was lost. If an officer is unavailable, leave a message stating that your card is lost, your name, and any other information.

Lost cards will be deactivated as soon as Public Safety is notified. Lost cards will be replaced for a fee of $10.00 (this is the material cost of a card).  Refunds will not be given for "found cards."

On-duty Public Safety officers assist employees with obtaining a card. Emergent situations that require a Public Safety officer's immediate attention may modestly delay appropriate production and assignment of privileges of access control cards.

Special Security Locking System 

A department head may identify an area in his/her department that would require a higher level of security for reasons of equipment sensitivity or a concentration of costly high tech equipment. In these cases, access control hardware will be added at the expense of the requesting department. Access cards for those with access needs to these areas will be programmed to provide the desired limited access. Common areas such as restrooms shall never have special security locking systems.

Facilities Renovations and Remodels 

When areas or buildings are renovated at the college all door hardware shall remain at the local hardware provider and picked up by a designated college Facilities employee (locksmith).  Contractors shall never have access to new door keys, lockset cores, and associated information that would allow them to have access to our campus using the new standard key system. The Facilities locksmith will change-out all construction key cores after the renovation work is completed and before occupancy of college staff. This procedure applies to new buildings and newly renovated spaces.

Downtown Residence Building Key System Administration 

The property management firm will have full responsibility to manage and coordinate key issuance at the new Titan Court residence building. This shall include key contracts, replacement of lost or stolen keys and associated lockset cores, rotation of key cores, and maintenance of the door locksets maintain functionality and the security and safety of the residence. All new keys shall be ordered by the property management firm by placing a work order in Megamation with the Facilities department. Facilities will cut keys as needed to meet these needs. All replacement locksets or cores shall be ordered by the property management firm by placing a work order with Facilities, following a similar process to that of additional or new key requests. The property management firm shall maintain confidentiality of all key pin, core design, and other such aspects of the system that allow the key system to remain secure. If for some reason the property management firm allows the key system to be rendered insecure, all costs associated with replacement of key cores, keys, locksets shall be borne by the property management firm and strictly coordinated by Facilities staff.

Facilities Management and Planning Consultant or Contractor Access  

Exterior door master keys will not be issued at any time to any consultants or contractors. No exceptions. Access cards will however be issued as needed, and when authorized in writing by the responsible college manager. 

Facilities recognizes two types of consultants and contractors – those who are under contract with the college and those who are not. Facilities department staff may issue a set of keys including specific access keys to specific areas to both types of consultants and contractors conditioned upon their compliance with the requirements specific to whether they are under contract or not. All transactions for keys must be conducted with Facilities staff during normal business days/hours. Normal business days/hours are Monday through Thursday, 7AM – 4PM.  Lost or stolen keys must be reported to Facilities and Public Safety immediately. 

  1. (Contracted) Consultants and contractors with a college service agreement or contract: To obtain keys contracted consultants and contractors must complete and sign a Key/Access Card Request Form listing which buildings/spaces they need access to, how long they need the keys for and acknowledge the financial consequences of any failure to return keys. Further, their request must be signed by the manager responsible for their contract (or designee). A signed Key/Access Card Request Form is required for keys assigned to consultants or contractors already under contract for services. Assigned keys may not be passed around to other consultants or contractors other than the responsible contractor/consultant that signed the Key request form.  All keys shall be returned to the college when the contracted services are completed. The responsible consultant/contractor must notify Public Safety (extension 5558) whenever working on college property during evenings and weekends. 
  2. Non-contracted consultants and contractors:  To obtain keys, non-contracted consultants, contractors or vendors must fill out and sign a Key/Access Card Request Form, leave their Oregon Driver's License as collateral and a check for $500 to rekey if checked out keys are lost or stolen. These requestors may pick up their ODL and check when returning their keys to the Facilities office and signing the log sheet returning their keys.  All keys shall be returned on the same day as they are issued. No keys shall be allowed to be out overnight. Assigned keys may not be passed around to other consultants or contractors other than the responsible contractor/ consultant that signed the Key request form.  Contractors failing to return keys during the same day as issued may not be issued keys in the future, at the discretion of the authorizing manager. 

Leased Spaces 

Buildings that are leased by the college will be keyed as needed and in alignment with college standards. Master keys will be provided to the designated agent of the building owner.

Access Control Cards (also known as "Key Cards" and "Access Cards")

New employees may obtain these cards by asking their immediate supervisor to contact Public Safety by e-mail. Requests for key cards should include the name of the individual, the department they work for, and the specific areas and doors for which access is being requested.

Most requests for access control cards are granted without additional review; however, on occasion Public Safety will require additional clarification or information about the level of access requested. In all cases, Public Safety staff will determine whether or not such access is reasonable and does not pose any unnecessary security risk for the college.

Public Safety shall facilitate access control cards for residents and staff of the Downtown Campus. Should a resident require a temporary "generic" access control card, the property management company shall contact Public Safety by phone or e-mail to and make such request for the resident. Typically, temporary access control cards will remain active for a maximum of 72 hours, however, exceptional requests to support students for slightly longer periods will be considered by Public Safety.

For Frequently Asked Questions on this Policy, go to: An Employee's Guide for Understanding Keys, Camera Acquisition, and Access Cards Functionality FAQ.

Date Adopted: 
Saturday, May 1, 1999
Date Last Reviewed: 
Friday, July 31, 2015