Records: How to Send Records to the Archives
- How to Send Records to the Archives for Temporary or Permanent Storage
- Transmittal Form / Contents List
- Sample Transmittal Form
- Records Procedures (about Selecting, Scheduling, Transferring, Retrieving, and Destroying Records)
- Refer to the Records Retention Schedule and consult with the Archivist to make sure records meet the necessary standards for storage.
- Contact the Archivist to request records boxes. [email: firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Put the records into records boxes. For details, refer to: Transferring Records.
- Mark the boxes on the upper left corner of the front of the box with an abbreviation for the department and the box number.
- Fill out the Transmittal Form.
- Open the TF document in MS Word. Save the document onto a desktop computer.
- Complete the first two sections (with the exception of the Accession # which will be assigned later).
- Fill-in brief descriptions of each box, including the box #, description, and dates of the records.
- Complete the Contents List (page 2 of the Transmittal Form) with detailed descriptions of the box contents.
- Email the completed Transmittal Form / Contents List as an attachment to: email@example.com
- Put in a Work Order to have FMP pick up the filled boxes and have them taken to the Archives' Recieving & Processing Room Building 4, Room 107.
- The Archives will assign an Accession # and complete the Transmittal Form.
- Two copies of the Transmittal Form will be sent to the department for a signature. Return one signed copy to the Archives. The other copy is kept by the department to refer to when requesting records from the Archives in the future.