Year 1: Self Study & External Peer Reviewer Site Visit
Academic Program Review is a faculty-led collaboration with administration. This inquiry process provides program faculty, staff, students and Deans an opportunity to assess the strengths and weaknesses of academic programs and plan for improvements. During year 1 of the five-year cycle, the process is organized around a self-study and an external peer review. Six focus questions provide the parameters for the self-study and help organize data collection and frame recommendations for improvements.
Program Review Committees (PRC), headed by a faculty lead, have access to a dedicated APR coach, an Assessment coach, Academic Technology coach and consultations with Institutional Research (IR). See resources below and in the resources page for important information and guidance.
Steps to Begin the APR Process
Key Components of Self Study Inquiry
For college-wide information, please see Planning and Institutional Effectiveness web pages, especially the Program Review, Department Planning, and Data links.
For Student Learning Assessment at Lane, please see Student Learning Assessment
Examples of Lane Self-Studies
Examples of Other College Self-Studies
Lane's unique inquiry model of Academic Program Review is organized around the 6 Questions: 3 from program faculty, 1-2 from the Administrative Management Team, and 1 from APROC. But you will find that all program reviews share similar features and so we provide these discipline models. We recommend you look at several and use Lane's Handbook to suit your program's needs.
- Art -- PCC
- Business -- Hawaii CC, Business -- Rogue CC
- Chinuk Wawa (as World Languages) -- PCC
- Composition -- Bergen CC, Composition -- Evergreen Valley, Composition -- Grand Rapids, Composition -- PCC
- Communication Studies -- Rio Hondo, Communication Studies -- Ventura
- Criminal Justice -- Hillsborough, Criminal Justice-- N. Oklahoma CC
- Ethnic Studies-- Chabot
- Fabrication -- Calhoun
- Geography -- Bergen, Geography -- PCC
- Graphic Design -- PCC
- Human Services- Salano, Human Services- St. Petersberg
- Math (for Engineering) -- Bergen
Posters Illustrating Lane Self Studies
Below are posters illustrating how some Lead Faculty and their teams have approached the year 1 self-study. Click on the links below to view the posters.
- Ellen Osterkamp, Art History Program Poster
- Brooke Taylor, Chemistry Program Poster
- Kevin O'Fearghail, Criminal Justice Poster
- Bonnie Simoa, Dance Program Poster
- Margaret Robertson, Drafting Program Poster
- Mike Samano, Ethnic Studies
- Tom Madison, Graphic Design
- Eileen Thompson, Literature and Film Program Poster
- Angela Martinek, Mathematics (Engineering)
Video of Christina Howard, PTA Program
In the video below, Christina Howard, Faculty Coordinator of the Physical Therapy Assistant Program, discusses her experience of the process.
APR Resources and Examples You will find: APR process and context as well as institutional resources, templates, instructions, compensation & forms, curriculum development and examples from other educational institutions.