Calendar of Events
Call the Women's Center at (541) 463-5353 for the dates and times of exciting activities year round, including:
Women in Transition Orientation Sessions
This is a free information session to help women get started at Lane and attendance is required to enroll in the Women in Transition program. It covers a variety of topics including the Women in Transition classes, services offered at Lane and through the Women's Center, financial aid requirements, and what to expect when beginning college. Here is a flyer with the dates of the next orientations scheduled for the beginning of August - call the front desk at the Women's Center to learn more and to sign-up.
Annual Fall Open House
Join us for our annual Halloween Open House! Meet the staff and share some refreshments. Costumes are encouraged!
Career and Technical Education Workshops:
These workshops are designed to provide general guidance and instruction on what it takes to succeed in technical education and in technical careers. Several are focused on familiarizing participants with the computer and how it can be used as a powerful and resourceful tool. Registration is required and you must fill out and turn in a workshop registration form. Forms are available at the Women's Center or you can view and print one here. The locations of the workshops are subject to change so please check for updates or contact the front desk to confirm where it will take place.
Summer 2014 Term Workshop Schedule:
1. Intro to Basic Computer and Internet Skills, Bldg 1, Rm 224 - Don't know what to do after you turn on the computer? You will learn the basic skills of how to create documents and even browse the net!
Tuesday, July 22nd, 9:00 AM - NOON
2. Intro to Informational Interviews, Bldg 1, Rm 222 - Now that you know what your interests are, it's time to find out more from someone that is already working in the field. Your instructor will help you figure out who to interview, how to prepare, and what to expect.
Wednesday, July 23rd, 1:00 PM - 4:00 pm
3. Exploring Career Pathways, Bldg 1, Rm 224 - Have fun with Lisa Bohannan as she guides you through various career searches available on the Internet. This three-hour workshop helps you search for high pay/ high demand careers, find your own specific interests and expand your career knowledge.
Tuesday, August 5th, 9:00 AM - NOON
4. Intro to MS Word & Resume Writing, Bldg 2, Rm 212 - Follow along as your instructor shows how easily you can create wonderful documents, fliers and more in Word. Then learn how to create an exciting presentation in PowerPoint.
Wednesday, August 6th, 1:00 PM - 4:00 pm
Fall 2014 Term Workshop Schedule:
1. Moodle/MyLane Made Easy - Join Lisa Bohannan and learn to easily use these two essential student tools efficiently and effectively.
2. Intro to Basic Computer and Internet Skills - Don't know what to do after you turn on the computer? Maria teaches the basic skills of how to create documents and even browse the net.
3. Intro to MS Word & Powerpoint - Follow along as Sharon shows how easily you can create wonderful documents, fliers and more in Word. Then learn how to create an exciting presentation in Powerpoint.
4. Intro to Web Design - Ever wondered what it is like to create your own web page? Using free software, Chris guides you step-by-step in building your own web page.
5. Intro to Informational Interviews - Now that you know what your interest are, it's time to find out more from someone that is already working in the field. Lisa Bohannan will help you figure out who to interview, how to prepare and what to expect.
6. Exploring Career Pathways - Have fun with Lisa Bohannan as she guides you through various career searches available on the Internet. This three-hour workshop helps you search for high pay/ high demand careers, find your own specific interests and expand your career knowledge.
7. Intro to Excel - Does creating a budget, tracking your expenses, mileage, or using a computer spreadsheet seem like an unreal expectation? Sharon will show you how easily you can do these tasks and much more.
8. Exploring STEM Careers - From the paper you are holding, the lights, flooring and coffee cup, the bus, the shoes and the computer - nearly everything you see around you has been imagined, designed, engineered and built by men. Imagine how things might be different with a woman's touch! Mel will open your eyes in fun and easy ways to tech skills you may have only dreamed you would ever tackle.
There is also a workshop that is offered several times throughout the term in the media center called Mac 911 that is all about Mac computers. Registration is required - to register and to get more information check this page on the LCC Media Arts site for dates and to register online.