Transportation Ideas - 11/24/04
Sustainability Group Ideas for Improved Transportation Options
- Promote and advertise carpooling websites (RideShare and LTD).
- Promote and advertise the student bus pass program.
- Promote transportation alternatives in the class schedule.
- Streamline the process for getting a bus pass (many students are confused about how to get it), or perhaps setting it up so all students receive the bus pass (like the U of O's student i.d.'s). Subsidize bus passes for staff as well as students.
- Work with campus groups and the city to improve bicycle access to campus.
- Encourage a campus-wide effort to be involved with a commuter challenge.
- Promote a "bike day" in the spring in which all staff and students are encouraged to ride their bikes to Lane. The college president could ride to Lane as a way of promoting the event. All bike riders would be entered into a drawing for a gift.
- Encourage telecommuting by offering more on-line classes.
- Require students to travel to campus less often by having more 2 day/week classes and fewer 3 day/week classes.
- Encourage carpooling by having a specific parking lot for carpoolers. This lot would be the prime parking (perhaps the lot in front of Students First) and could be monitored by someone in a booth or by people getting carpooling stickers.
- Implement paid parking.