This page is in the process of revision.
"Everybody can be great, because everybody can serve."
– Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Why Service Learning?
Service Learning is way for instructors to:
- Inform and expand classroom learning by addressing current community needs and concerns
- Guide students to understand and reflect on their community-based experience as it relates to their academic study
- Learn about the structure and purposes of community-based organizations
- Understand and appreciate our roles as members of a civic community and as citizens of a democracy
During Fall, Winter, and Spring terms, the Service Learning Leadership Team (SLLT) will advertise in The Daily a Call for Proposals, encouraging all faculty to design service learning components in their existing courses or create new service learning classes. Working within our budget, the SLLT will award curriculum development hours and fund project materials. For examples of successful applications and current service learning classes at Lane, please see the links in the Faculty menu.