Enabling the Energy Star feature on your computer saves the college about $20/year per computer. This may not seem like a lot, but if everyone at Lane enabled this feature, we would save over $10,000/year in electricity.
To enable this feature:
- Open "My Computer" from your Windows Desktop
- Double click on "Control Panel"
- Double click on "Display"
- Click on the "Screen Saver" tab
- Click the ìSettingsî button at the bottom
- Change the "Power schemes" from "Always On" to "Home/Office Desk"
- Change "System standby" from "Never" to "After 30 mins"
- Change "ìTurn off monitor" from "Never" to "After 15 mins" (or whatever you think is appropriate)
- Change "Turn off hard disks" from "Never" to "After 30 mins"
- Click "Apply" and then "OK"
Please note that when you enable these features, your computer screen will go completely blank after the designated about of time. When you want to start using your computer again, simply move the mouse or hit any key. It will take approximately 15 seconds for your computer to power up again and be completely ready to use.