The Lane Music Program offers 14 scholarships worth a total of over $18,000!
The Niles and MaryAnn Hanson Scholarships ($13,200*)
As many as 11 awards of $1,200. As many as 10 awards come with a season ticket to the Eugene Symphony! *One award made possible by Ron and Janet Bertucci.
Masonic Center Eugene Lodge #11 Ancient Free and Acceptant Masons ($4,000 available)
Two awards of $2,000 available.
John Workman Memorial Jazz Scholarships ($1,200 available)
This award is funded by member of Lane's Jazz Faculty through their concerts, performances and personal contributions. In memory of John Workman (1952-1998) - Jazz Pianist, Composer and Lane Music Faculty Member.
Scholarship Application Requirements
Who may apply:
Outstanding student leaders who are interested in studying music, and who are intending to enroll full time at Lane during the 2015-16 academic year (Fall, Winter and Spring terms).
Application Materials List:
- The application form can be downloaded by clicking the link below. Hard copies are available in the Music Building. Applications are due May 1st!
- Download Scholarship Application
- Write an essay (1-2 pages max) that tells us about you and why you deserve to receive this scholarship. Consider addressing the following:
- What does music mean to you?
- Why do you want to study music at Lane?
- What are your musical/educational goals?
- How have you demonstrated leadership and enhanced musical experiences for others?
- What are your personal and musical strengths?
- Have you had any notable musical accomplishments?
- Why do you want this scholarship?
Two Letters of Recommendation:
- Include one letter from a current music teacher and one from any other non-family member. Applicants may have references submit letters of recommendation, or they may use the Lane Music Scholarships Recommendation form, which is available below. Hard copies of the Recommendation form are also available in the Music Building.
- Download Scholarship Recommendation Form
Audition (10-15 minutes max):
- All applicants are required to demonstrate their skill by performing an audition.
- This audition may be live, or it may be recorded on video and submitted along with the other application materials.
- Live Auditions
- Dates: May 30th and June 1st.
- Applicants will be notified of their audition time via email.
- An audition schedule will be posted on this website on May 15th, when finalists are announced.
- Video Auditions
- Applicants may choose to submit video recordings of their audition if they are unable to perform a live audition.
- Video auditions may be sent with other application materials on a DVD, or they may be sent electronically as a video file, or a YouTube link.
- Audition Requirements
- The audition requirements vary depending on your emphasis (i.e. trumpet, voice, digital composition, etc.)
- See the specific audition requirements for your instrument / voice.
- Dress appropriately (no jeans, athletic shoes, or T-shirts).
- Introduce yourself by name, instrument & current school (e.g: "Hello, my name is Gustav Holst & I am auditioning on Trombone. I currently attend Phoenix High School in Phoenix Arizona").
- Students performing outstanding auditions in multiple areas (e.g. jazz & brass) may be given preference.
- Scholarship awards will be applied to the recipient's Lane account at the beginning of Fall, Winter, and Spring terms.
- 1/3rd of the scholarship will be awarded Fall term
- Award of subsequent portions (Winter and Spring terms) will be subject to a review of the student's work.
- Students are expected to demonstrate leadership, integrity, academic and musical excellence.
- A review of a student's work to determine whether they may retain their scholarship for Winter and Spring terms will include criteria such as:
- GPA/academic performance
- Attendance and commitment