Mission and Vision For Faculty Professional Development
Faculty Professional Development provides means for faculty to:
- Accommodate changes in disciplines, technology, pedagogy and expectations of students, faculty, and the community.
- Contribute to their profession
- Collaborate with other faculty and the community
- Increase their capacity to professionally grow and teach
What FPD Means to Lane Community College
- allows for faculty to accommodate change
- increases your knowledge base in your discipline or outside your discipline
- learning keeps current with technology
- expanding cultural knowledge competence
- staying up to date with newest/cutting edge information
- align ourselves with most recent knowledge
- make contributions to our profession
- contributions that offer something unique to the field
- adds value to knowledge and contribution to the field
- maintains core competencies
- prepares faculty for change
- personal enrichment
- enhancing ability to be good teachers
- opportunity to take a break/get out of environment/meet others in the field
- put yourself in a place that allows for personal and professional growth
- building relationships with the community (business and local industry) to enhance real life experience for students
- an experience that one shares with other faculty (its not only just personal)
Note: possible next step: pull keywords from definitions (e.g. innovate, training, etc.) define those and use as guidelines against which to measure professional development.
Faculty Professional Development at LCC will look like: (each item listed below is a statement of faculty expectations in regard to the Faculty Professional Development program at LCC)
- Everyone is informed about what is available.
- Professional development is an entitlement.
- Professional development will be centralized (one stop shop).
- There will be enough money and time to do professional development.
- Professional development will be a collective responsibility and all faculty will share in its benefits.
- Professional activities will support all aspects of our students' lives.
- Part-time faculty will have access to professional development.