ESL - About the English as a Second Language Program
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Program at Lane Community College provides intensive English language training to a wide cross-section of residents in Lane County. This program enrolls students from more than 40 different nations and features staff who are highly-qualified and culturally-sensitive to the needs of second language learners. ESL Department serves about 500 students per term at two locations.
The ESL Program:
- Serves resident students
- Has eight different levels of comprehensive English instruction for students from pre-beginning ability to pre-college entrance
- Offers oral and written placement tests
- Integrates skills in core classes at each level
- Offers supplemental classes include reading, writing, TOEFL preparation and college success for ESL learners
Who is Eligible?
- U.S. immigrants
- Migrant workers
- Other permanent residents of Lane County
Note: Others are also eligible for these classes on a tuition basis.
The ESL Program provides the following services to Lane County residents:
- Academic advising
- Orientation to life in the United States
- Tutoring with native speakers
How to Enroll
To schedule an appointment for placement testing:
The mission of the English as a Second Language Department is to assist non-native speakers, both resident and international students, to achieve educational, workplace or other personal goals by facilitating English language learning and intercultural understanding in a supportive, respectful environment.