Academic Progress Standards FAQs

Academic Progress Standards FAQs

If you are a degree-seeking credit student at Lane, we want to help you reach your educational goals, and to do that, you need to be completing most of your courses with a passing grade. So, every term, all students who are in a degree program are tracked to see if they earned at least a 2.0 GPA and completed at least 67% of the credits they attempted that term.

If you do not meet this Academic Progress Standard, then there will be an intervention to help you succeed. You will have a hold on your account that prevents future registration or transcript activity until you complete the necessary intervention. This hold will be an "Alert" hold with a number that tells you what level you have reached. The Academic Progress Standards information shows a table of possible interventions.

This standard applies to all students and is not the same as the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards (SAP).

You can find answers to commonly asked questions about Academic Progress Standards below.

Q: What are the Academic Progress Standards, and where can I find them?
A: The Academic Progress Standards are described on Lane's website.

Q: Will Lane contact me if I fail to meet Academic Progress Standards?
A: Yes. Once grades are posted at the end of a respective term, Lane will send an email notification to any student not meeting Academic Progress Standards.
Special Note: Make certain your current e-mail address is reflected in myLane.

Q: Do I have to complete the intervention before I can enroll in future courses?
A: Yes, once a student is on Alert Status 1, 2, or 3, a registration hold will be placed on their record. In order to make schedule changes to a current term in progress or enroll in future terms, a student MUST complete the appropriate intervention.

Q: Will my Financial Aid be impacted?
A: Possibly. Financial Aid - Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards may also apply to those who are receiving and/or applying for aid. Financial Aid SAP standards are not exactly the same as Academic Progress Standards, though they can seem similar. Consult with an Enrollment and Student Financial Services staff member (Building 1 Lobby) if you have questions about your Financial Aid SAP status. You can compute your Financial Aid SAP, by using the Financial Aid SAP Calculator.

Q: What happens once I complete an intervention?
A: A student will return to Good Standing in the Academic Progress Standards system, and be allowed to make schedule changes to the current term and register for future terms (as long as the student has no other registration holds).
Special Note: Good Standing in Academic Progress Standards is not the same as Good Standing in the Financial Aid SAP standards. Know your status in each area.

Q: Does my cumulative GPA and completion rate affect my Academic Progress Standard status?
A: No. Academic Progress Standards apply to each term's GPA and completion rate, so you could have a strong cumulative GPA and completion rate, but still be placed on an Alert status, if you do not meet Academic Progress Standards for the term.

Q: I received a letter telling me I am on Alert 1: online Keys to Success required. I'm confused about what I am supposed to do.
A: Assistance is provided in the student lab in the lobby of Building 1 to help students access Moodle and answer questions about how to complete the online Keys to Success workshop.

Q: Let's say I'm on Alert 1 and complete the intervention. I stay in good standing for the next two or three (or more) terms, but then have another term where I don't meet the standards. Will I go back to Alert 1?
A: No. You will be placed on Alert 2, since it's the second term you've not met the standards. The terms don't have to be consecutive. Each Alert status has a separate intervention as described below:
Alert 1: online Keys to Success workshop
Alert 2: in-person Keys to Success workshop
Alert 3: Back On Course class
Dismissal: approved petition to return

Q: If I get dismissed from Lane because I have not met the Academic Progress Standards for four terms, how can I appeal the academic dismissal?
A: A student wishing to appeal their academic dismissal can do so with the Academic Progress Review Committee. This will require the completion of a petition process.
If you have additional questions or concerns related to Academic Progress Standards, please contact