The purpose of this procedure is to describe the process to be followed for the administration of a construction contract and related activity required to complete the contract.
Written contracts and agreements are maintained for all college construction projects. Projects include all buildings and facilities construction, equipment, landscaping, major reconstruction and repair projects, and other significant uses of budgeted capital project funds. The director of Facilities Management and Planning is responsible for college construction projects including the stewardship of all contractual documents, plans, building permits, etc.
The following procedure is followed for the administration of a construction contract and related activity required to complete the contract.
- The director of Facilities Management and Planning develops and reviews plans for the construction project and establishes a uniform title or common reference for the project in accordance with established procedures. The development and review process includes the vice president for College Operations (or designee), the department head affected and all other key individuals or department personnel involved in the planning process.
- Bid specifications are prepared by the director of Facilities Management and Planning or designee and are reviewed by the director of College Finance or designee.
- Bids are advertised, received and compiled on the approved project by the director of College Finance in accordance with established purchasing laws and procedures.
- Bids on the project are submitted to the president by the vice president for College Operations (or designee). When appropriate, project award recommendations may be submitted to the president and to the Board of Education by the vice president of College Operations (or designee). Then the contract is awarded in accordance with established public purchasing law.
- The director of Facilities Management and Planning prepares the contract and has all documents signed by the contractor and the clerk/deputy clerk of the college and secures performance bonds (if applicable) from the contractor. Copies of the contract and performance bonds are distributed to the architect/engineer and two copies are sent to College Finance.
- The architect/engineer issues a Notice to Proceed and the project commences. Wage certifications are obtained from the contractor and filed by the director of Facilties Management and Planning or designee.
- Change orders are prepared by the architect/engineer and are submitted to the contractor for a cost estimate and completion schedule changes, then reviewed and approved by the department head affected, the director of Facilities Management and Planning and the vice president for College Operations (or designee), then signed by a clerk/deputy clerk of the college. The distribution of change orders is identical to the distribution of the contract (see #5 above).
- The contractor initiates and submits to the architect/engineer all applications for payment or partial payment of the contract for review and approval. The architect/engineer forwards approved applications to the director of Facilities Management and Planning for college approval. All approved requests for partial and full payment are transmitted to College Finance for processing.
- When contracted work has been substantially completed, the architect/engineer completes a Certification of Substantial Completion and submits it to the director of Facilities Management and Planning. The architect/engineer also submits a list ("punch list") of those items not yet completed. The Certification of Substantial Completion is processed in the same manner as the original contract. At this time, the college assumes ownership of the facility and commences using it.
- When all punch list items have been completed, the director of Facilities Management and Planning initiates final acceptance of the facility and closes out the project.