Welcome to a building that teaches
—By Mary Spilde, President
A shining light for the community this winter is the opening of the new Lane Community College Downtown Campus academic building—a building that teaches.
You'll learn a lot just by walking in the door. The building is a knockout model of energy efficiency and innovation that will earn the highest energy efficiency credential in the industry, LEED Platinum certification.
Several features make this top rating possible, for example—
- Geo-thermal wells for heating
- Natural airflow for cooling
- Rainwater cisterns for landscape irrigation
- Solar-thermal arrays for water-heating
- Solar electricity for energy
- Rooftop vegetation for carbon reduction
- Automated temperature, ventilation and lighting systems
- Public monitor showing current and long term energy and water use
Plus, you'll find state-of-the-art classroom technology, lots of bicycle parking, the TitanStore and Market, an ATM, and more.
Home to our Continuing Education program, you will also find the Small Business Development Center, senior programs, basic education classes, and our nationally renowned Energy Management program whose students will use the building itself as a daily learning lab.
This completes our new Downtown Campus, along with our student apartment building next door, Titan Court.
The Lane Downtown Campus belongs to our students, businesses and community members. We built it together. Thank you!