Massage Therapy Program
How do I start the program?
You must attend an Informational Meeting to get all the resources and information you will need to plan and register for classes in the massage program. Dates and times of Informational Meetings – held once each term – are on the Massage Therapy Program main page.
Will classes taken at other community colleges or massage schools transfer to the program?
The Oregon Board of Massage Therapists (OBMT) determines which courses they will accept toward the minimum 500 hours required to sit for the practical exam. If you have taken courses at another school that you believe fulfill some of these requirements, please contact the Board to determine the hours and subjects you must yet complete and then speak with our Program Coordinator to insure that you register for the most appropriate of Lane's massage courses.
If I hold a current Oregon license in a health related field, do I have to complete Lane's entire program?
No, an applicant who currently holds an Oregon license in a health-related field can apply for a massage license by State Indorsement. The requirement for the written exam is waived, but the applicant must successfully complete a practical exam. Transcripts showing 300 hours of Massage Theory and Practical Application, Clinical Practice, Business Development, Communication, Ethics, and Sanitation are also required. Verification of current licensure from the licensing agency and a copy of your current license must be submitted with your application.
Are there other costs associated with the program?
Most courses have required textbooks, which vary in price. Students are required to receive three (3) professional massages over the course of the program. Students are also required to purchase personal liability insurance; information about which is available at the Downtown Center. See this list of program and licensure costs for more.
- Get a Sallie Mae Continuing Education Loan
- Get a Wells Fargo Student Loan for Career and Community Colleges
- Start an Individual Development Account and receive matching funds for goal-oriented budgeting and saving. Contact the Goodwill Industries Prosperity Center, at: 541-431-3332
Are scholarships available?
The Continuing Education Department has a small scholarship program. Scholarships are awarded twice per year. The typical scholarship amount awarded is $300. Preference is given to students enrolled in certificate or pre-licensure programs. Please fill out and submit our application, available at the Downtown Center.
To apply for a Continuing Education Department scholarship, click here: Scholarship form
Information about other organizations that offer scholarships can be obtained from scholarship search sites such as www.fastweb.com. Also use the scholarship search at Lane's Career and Employment Services.
How does Lane's program compare with other massage schools in Oregon?
All of these schools meet or exceed the Oregon Board minimum of 500 hours (200 of health sciences and 300 of massage theory and practical application). Most programs take approximately 12 months to complete and classes have low teacher to student ratios. According to our students, many of whom transfer to Lane from other schools, the Lane Massage Therapy Program offers greater flexibility and high quality instruction at a very competitive cost!
- Check your unofficial transcript. You can do this by signing into myLane, clicking the myEnrollment tab and choosing "Print Unofficial Transcript."
- Contact Kathy Calise for an "I am finished with the massage program!" meeting, firstname.lastname@example.org
- After you have checked to make sure that you passed all of the required hours, you will then need to order an official transcript for the Oregon Board of Massage Therapists. Be sure and have these transcripts sent to you, but do not open the inner sealed envelope. Find out more about ordering your official transcript.
- You will find the information you need to know for the Oregon Board of Massage Therapists practical exam by visiting the OBMT website. Information about the MBLEx and National Certification Board written exams is also available at the OBMT website.
- Check the current class schedule
- Contact Lane Community College Continuing Education at (541) 463-6100
- Contact the Oregon Board of Massage Therapists at (503) 365-8657
- Contact Kathy Calise at email@example.com