The president shall assure that the board is informed and supported in its work.
Accordingly, the president shall:
- Submit monitoring data required by the board (see policy on Monitoring Presidential Performance) in a timely, accurate, and understandable fashion, directly addressing provisions of board policies being monitored.
- Keep the board aware of relevant trends, anticipated adverse media coverage, or material external and internal changes, particularly changes in the assumptions upon which any board policy has previously been established.
- Advise the board if, in the president's opinion, the board is not in compliance with its own policies on Governance Process and Board-President Linkage, particularly in the case of board behavior that is detrimental to the working relationship between the board and the president.
- Marshal for the board as many staff and external points of view, issues, and options as needed for fully informed board choices
- Provide a mechanism for official board, officer, or committee communications.
- Deal with the board as a whole except when (a) fulfilling individual requests or providing information; or (b) responding officers or committees duly charged by the board.
- Report in a timely manner known noncompliance with any policy of the board.
- Supply for the consent agenda all items delegated to the president yet required by law or contract to be board-approved, along with the monitoring assurance pertaining thereto.
- Provide semiannual budget planning information.
ADOPTED: November 9, 1998
REVISED: April 12, 2000
REVISED: January 14, 2004
REVIEWED: February 13, 2008
REVIEWED: May 12, 2010
REVIEWED: September 17, 2013
REVIEWED: February 4, 2015