TREATMENT OF STAFF
With respect to the treatment of paid and volunteer staff, the president shall:
- Operate with written personnel policies that clarify personnel rules for staff, provide for effective handling and redress of grievances, and protect against wrongful conditions.
- Assure that there is an environment to freely examine and discuss assumptions and data and be guided by evidence.
- Never discriminate against any staff member for expressing an ethical dissent or retaliate against any staff member for engaging in whistleblowing activities as defined in ORS 659A.200 to 659A.229 or for addressing the Board as provided in subsection 4 of this policy.
- Not prevent staff from addressing the board when internal grievance procedures have been exhausted and the employee alleges that board policy has been violated to his or her detriment. The opportunity to address the board will occur either in writing or during public comment.
- Operate within a collaborative and participative environment.
- Acquaint staff with their rights under this policy.
- Make results a measure of staff success.
- Assure there is adequate provision for the safety and security of staff.
ADOPTED: November 9, 1998
REVISED: April 12, 2000
REVISED: May 12, 2004
REVISED: September 8, 2004
REVIEWED: July 11, 2007
REVISED: October 13, 2010